Thursday, May 19, 2005

Finding Troas

. . . they tried to enter Bithynia, but the Spirit of Jesus would not allow them to. So they passed by Mysia and went down to Troas (Acts 16:7-8).

Something’s not right. That’s what we conclude when our plans don’t unfold according to our timelines and charts, or our dreams and hopes and fantasies. Plans aren’t always written and calendared. They may exist in our minds without having ever been fully articulated to another living soul. Whether on paper or held in some deep inner place, we know when they aren’t happening. And our first thought is that something has gone wrong, a deviation from the good and right and normal.

The apostle Paul knew better. Look at this episode from his second missionary journey – a journey that was reasonably planned. Paul had planted churches. Now it was time to go back and check on them. Not a bad plan. But then this:

Paul and his companions traveled throughout the region of Phrygia and Galatia, having been kept by the Holy Spirit from preaching the word in the province of Asia. 7 When they came to the border of Mysia, they tried to enter Bithynia, but the Spirit of Jesus would not allow them to. 8 So they passed by Mysia and went down to Troas. 9 During the night Paul had a vision of a man of Macedonia standing and begging him, "Come over to Macedonia and help us." 10 After Paul had seen the vision, we got ready at once to leave for Macedonia, concluding that God had called us to preach the gospel to them (Acts 16:6-10).

What’s going on here? They were “forbidden by the Holy Spirit” as they sought to enter Asia. When they tried to enter Bithynia, the “Spirit of Jesus did not allow them.” Their plans are thwarted. Whatever is happening, we know that this isn’t simply bad luck or bad timing. The text is clear that the Spirit is involved in this. Suddenly the larger story begins to emerge. In a dream Paul sees the outline of a new plot, a different story. A man of Macedonia beckons Paul, “come and help us.” Now there’s a new plan. This is where the Spirit was leading all along.

What strikes me about this passage from Acts 16 is the remarkable absence of angst in the story. The events are narrated in a matter of fact way that gives no hint of frustration or regret or worry. Had I been Paul, or a member of Paul’s team, I would have lost sleep thinking about the new believers in those regions who needed to be tended to and discipled. I would have stewed for days in frustration over the failed or failing plan, perhaps trying again and again to make it work, pleading in prayer to understand what was going “wrong.” Maybe Paul or his companions did some of this too. Doesn’t sound like it though.

During my seminary years I served a small congregation in southern Oklahoma. I would drive every weekend from Fort Worth, Texas to the church field – a two hour trek up I-35W. One Saturday in early January, just after leaving the city limits of Fort Worth, an ice storm moved in, raining wet ice that started freezing to my windshield and then to the roads. By the time I had entered Oklahoma it was dark. My wipers were useless against the freezing rain. My tires weren’t holding the road so well. I’m from Georgia and Georgians have no idea how to navigate these conditions. I managed to pull off the interstate and beat the truckers to the Holiday Inn. I called a church member to let them know I wouldn’t be making it up for Sunday’s services. I should have been thankful to be safe and in a room with heat. But I wasn’t thankful. I was angry at being stuck in a hotel room. I couldn’t go where I wanted to go. I couldn’t get to my congregation. I couldn’t go back home. When I tired of feeling anger I moved on to self pity. I was alone in southern Oklahoma.

That night at the Holiday Inn I had no dream or vision, no one calling me to a new ministry on the other side of the Red River. I can’t honestly say that I ever glimpsed the larger story. I don’t claim to have some insight now into that event that I didn’t have then. Perhaps what God wanted to do with me was show me his awesome power in the storm. I think I missed the chance to worship because I was angry. Maybe the Spirit had a message for me that weekend: “You’re not the savior. They’ll be fine. It’s not your church.” I missed that too. I think I spent more time watching TV than praying.

Somehow Paul found the road to Troas. In Troas Paul was perfectly positioned to go over to Macedonia. Troas is where the outline of the larger story emerges. It is the place where we catch a glimpse of what God is doing around us, a place where we receive what God has next. The same Spirit that kept Paul from entering Asia and Bithynia was certainly leading him to Troas, preparing him for the dream and the call to Macedonia. You make your way to Troas with prayer and by grace. Those who cover their plans with “if the Lord wills” are most likely to find Troas.

So if we follow the counsel of James and cover all our plans with “if the Lord wills,” we had better pray believing. We need to believe that God will in fact do what he wills – and that means that what seems like a failure or deviation to us was in fact the plan from the beginning. We just had to get there. We had to find our way to Troas.

No comments: