Friday, December 14, 2007

Not a Possession - but Power

Our yearning: Peace on Earth (Read Isaiah 11:1-9)

As spoken by the prophet . . .
A shoot will come up from the stump of Jesse . . . the Spirit of the Lord will rest upon him (Isaiah 11:1-2)

As seen in Jesus . . .
Again Jesus said, “Peace be with you! As the Father has sent me I am sending you.” And with that he breathed on them and said, “Receive the Holy Spirit.” (John 21:21-22)

Now given to you . . . .
When we think of “peace on earth” we too often think of something that is over-idealized and thus unattainable. When we think of “peace of mind” we too often think of something that over-psychologized and thus individualistic; something we possess within ourselves.

The words of Isaiah and Jesus help us walk a path between those two errors. To follow this path is to learn daily what it means to be both “at peace” within while “making peace” without.

There is a flow or direction in the words of the prophet and the words of our savior. The Spirit of the Lord rests upon the shoot from Jesse, the one God is raising up to establish peace. This Spirit manifests itself in things like wisdom and power – but it also creates a different kind of world. The Spirit isn’t a possession; it is power to change things. The Spirit moves outward and creates a world where the wolf and the lamb dwell together and nations rally to God’s chosen peacemaker.

This is the Spirit that Jesus gave to his disciples. He finds them in their fear and doubt and “breathes” the Spirit upon them. This isn’t simply something to help them feel better. The spirit is God’s gift of power for changing the world.

As you go through this day, the peace you have within you will impact the peace that exists around you. Peace isn’t a cozy possession. It is power to change things, and it comes from the indwelling life of God in you.

Prayer:
Lord Jesus, the peace I try to make in my own power is short-lived. I ask you to breathe on me again this day; fill me with your very life and empower me as you send me into the world. Grant me your gift of peace, and then do your work of changing the world in ways that I cannot imagine. Amen.

No comments: